- Essentials of an error investigation Essentials of an error investigation
- Phase of error investigation Phase of error investigation
- Why do we have a time limit on error investigation? Why do we have a time limit on error investigation?
- How to investigate and solve when you discover a technical problem How to investigate and solve when you discover a technical problem
- Consider the impact of an error Consider the impact of an error
In this article, I describe a procedure for investigating an error when they occur the error.
Essentials of an error investigation
- Politely understand what the error message in a console is telling you.
- Correctly understand what the error is referring to. Please search the error by Google Search if you need it.
- Distinguish that it is an environment-dependent error or an error from other factors.
- Correctly understand the changes from the code when it was working.
- Check the code step by step with debugger or logger, etc to see how far the code works as expected.
Phase of error investigation
- Investigate the error on your own in 15-30 minutes. Get an ability to solve an error on your own.
- Consult with team members around you at a level that doesn't interfere with your work if you can't solve it yourself within 30 minutes.
- If not resolved, contact them with an estimate of what can and can't be done and what isn't coming and the additional work time needed.
Why do we have a time limit on error investigation?
Time limits can be daunting at first, but it's important to get your output out in a limited amount of work time.
Be aware of what you can and can't do in your limited time to solve the problem.
How to investigate and solve when you discover a technical problem
If you could search for the problem which you found, please try to solve that within a limited time.
- (Check Current Status) Please confirm the problem which works well or not in the current code.
- (Search Alternative way) If it did not work well, please investigate the alternative way.
- (Modify Code) Please modify code by 2nd investigation and create a pull request.
If it was difficult to solve by your self, please create a GitHub Issue and skip the issue at once.
Consider the impact of an error
Consider the impact of an error which you try to solve:
- How important the issue is.
- Are they creating bugs and doing users a disservice?
- What problems could arise if left unattended?
We expect to be flexible in your action depending on the degree of impact of the error.